Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Search Continues .... (for an I-Phone Replacement)

I was planning to go to the Nokia center at Serendra last night, but unfortunately, we spent too much time upgrading the computer in the office (another story much later) and had a lovely dinner at Banapple at Katipunan (another review much later). So we arrived at the area around 10 PM-ish.

After goofing around the place, taking pictures (my friend Chloe is your typical Fil, there will always be kodak moments - everywhere and anytime), we parked our butts at a Starbucks (not my choice really, I wanted to go off somewhere since it's my only day off from the motor/garage pool office). Anyway, while Lofrick and Chloe were tinkering the laptop, I grabbed a couple of tech mags off the rack.

I got hold of a magazine comparing the performance of Intel Core 2 Duo and the AMD Turion notebook processors. Which won the battle ... well, I think it's better one should get hold of the magazine and read for themselves. Interesting article. Then I got to the section of mobile phones. Since the mag issue is June 2007, I would still consider it updated by my standards.

As usual, the the Nokia N-95 and the latest Nokia communicator were the phones of the moment. But I don't like both. Sure, they may be loaded with features but then I wonder what the heck will I use all of them for. And they're ugly ... in terms of bulkiness. Like I stated before, I prefer the slim phones. I go for look, weight, and specific chosen few features - I don't pack my whole life in my cellphone.

Anyway, I was flipping the pages, and I saw the an Alcatel slider phone and several Samsung phones which made me curious to check out their site.

I surfed to samsung.com.ph and my comment is that they have to improve their site. Compared to Nokia and Sony Ericsson's site, Samsung's site does not have an advance search nor a phone comparator. There's a drop down menu for phone models, but if you're not familiar (like me) with their products, the phone model numbers can be quite daunting. There are thumbnail pictures of phone models .... but then I'm too lazy to go through all of them. So I went to CNET-asia and used their mobile phone advanced search to sort out the phone I like.

What I like about the Samsung phones is that they are stylish. Even the smart phone that they call the Blackjack. For the mutated calculator look, at least this one's slim ... and yes, kinda stylish.





The slider phone that's eye candy to me is the Samsung Ultra Editon 12.1 (U700). The phone is slim and sexy. But it just stops there. It doesn't have an FM radio, IR, or a media player. The camera though is 3.2 megapixels ... not bad, but this phone can't compete with my other choices.

Well, the search goes on.

No comments: