Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Under Southern Lights



Under Southern Lights is the fourth album of Urbandub, a Filipino band hailing from Cebu.

I will admit my ignorance about this band. I came to know about them when I heard "Frailty" from their 2005 album "Embrace." Though, I have heard rumours about them for quite sometime as being one of the best out there.




The album contains 10 songs which are:

1. An Invitation
2. Anthem
3. The Fight Is Over
4. Guillotine
5. Cebuana
6. Life Is Easy
7. Evidence
8. A Method To Chaos
9. Inside the Mind of a Killer
10. She Keeps Me Warm

I daresay it is one of the best OPM rock albums released this year. "Guillotine," which is receiving a lot of airplay (radio and video) is just the icing of the cake. Songs like "Invitation" and "Anthem" have the edgy guitar riffs that Urbandub is known for. I like the overall sound of "The Fight is Over." One of my favorites is "Inside The Mind of A Killer." A brooding anti-love song featuring the angelic voice of Kat Agarrado. There are also other songs that have a certain weird charm on its own ... that kind that grows on you as you listen to it more (e.g. Life Is Easy - naggingly a hybrid of an Incubus/311 song).

Most songs are about relationships ... the bad kind or obsessive kind of ones. So this album is pretty good listening if you're in or just out of of those.

Personally, the CD will probably remain in my car stereo for quite sometime.

Kudos to the group for a job well done .... specially to Lalay Lim, you rock girl! Excellent bass work.

To the rest of the world, you have to buy this album!

No comments: