Saturday, October 21, 2006

OVERWORKED?

I love to work.

I like doing something most of the time.

And I just don't take a job for the sake of having a job. I'm pretty picky actually because if I don't like what I'm doing, I'll stop working and find something else to do.

I don't know if I am just extremely passionate-dispassionate or simply just nuts. What I do know is that I'm always on the go.

Recently, I have been juggling so many extremely different things as usual. Two jobs and several rackets in between. I go home just to sleep and shower. The rest of my life is either in the office or in my car, which by the way, doubles as my roving condominium (complete with extra clothes, pillows and blankets, books and, heck, if I could fit in a refrigerator, it probably would have one).

Anyhow, being a workaholic deprives me recently of a "life." My social life is in the internet, pantry-jokes with my co-workers, and over-coffee-conversations with a client/boss/broker. My dates turn up (if they do show up) in my dreams, and it's usually over in 4 hours unless I push the snooze button for an extra 5 minutes. I see my parents when we accidentally bump each other in the kitchen. I see my dog everytime I leave, come home, or the caretaker tells me to hand me her dog food. Our daily interaction these days is limited to "good morning", "good night", and "good doggy."

So what do I get from all this working?

Well, primarily MONEY (which actually doesn't matter much to me but I use it as a score to rate myself). Money I enjoy having, not because it makes me "feel rich" sort of thing, but I have lots of hobbies that's just too high maintenance (e.g. reading - buy books, music - buy CDs, movies - watch movies/buy DVDs) and a vice to maintain (i.e. coffee - buy coffee or you die --> Damn Starbucks! I'm too addicted to quit). But more importantly, I like the challenge. I don't know. I must be crazy, but I like having something to work over in my brain. It's like chasing a guy, they say you can't have (I don't chase by the way, I lure. --> lol!)

Well, challenge I have a lot these days and I'm getting sick physically. Some blinker inside of me indicated the need to to slow down and get serviced. So I took the weekend off from doing extra work and relax. Unfortunately, my mind is racing and my hands are jittery (I know it's not from the coffee, it's not!) that I have to do something.

So as therapy, I decided to continue to work on my unfinished stories, then I realized I'm working again. So I abandoned it. I started texting my pals, which funnily, ended up in business talks. After talking to three of them, I decided to sleep instead. Fortunately, after taking my usual sleep "pill" (a.k.a. antihistamine - Benadryl), I zonked out in 15 minutes.

After a 2 hour nap, here I am up again, looking for something to do.

And I remembered, I have to "work" on my blog which I forgot to do these days. ;-)

No comments: