Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Fire Inside - Decemberunderground

Last Christmas, I gifted a friend an AFI CD entitled "Decemberunderground." I had no idea who these guys were then. All I know is that he's absolutely raving about them. So while travelling with my friends one day, I asked him to load the CD (since I think I already etched a crater on my Nickelback CD due to overplay) and find out myself what exactly is the fuss about.

The album started with the song "Prelude 12/21." It reminded me of Depeche Mode, probably because the delivery of the song sounds hauntingly like Dave Gahan. I was impressed. Actually, I was blown away. My senses were tingling ... I absolutely loved what I was hearing. After that, the songs just kept on coming and I have to say that THESE GUYS ARE GOOD. I really don't know what genre to place them because they're not totally punk rock, or even EMO, or even gothic (their faces in the album sleeve though reveals some gothic packaging). It would be too uncomfortable to place them in line with My Chemical Romance (also a great group) or even Evanescence. They're not too wavish like The Killers. I'd say it's a mixture of all with a twist and kick.

Other songs to look out for in this album: "Miss Murder," "Summer Shudder," "Love Like Winter" and "The Missing Frame" --> the most overplayed song in my Ipod.

There is this bad review from Rolling Stones magazine which I totally disagree. The reviewer was complaining of the band's divergence from it's punk rock roots like it's a crime. In their defense, experimentation of sound in this album is not totally novel but it definitely makes a great case. It made them DIFFERENT. It's hard enough to compete and make a statement at the same time with the other bands out there. To prevent oneself from being stereotyped into a punk formula or worse, cloneship, is a daunting task already for any conscious artist. With this album, I laud the creative efforts to bring life to the old blood of rock n' roll with a shot of limey refreshment. This is an album you'd like to listen to when you're tired of the same old thing or if you'd like to get rid of that irritating LSS.

Highly recommended for open-minded rock listeners.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had only one song from this band's album, and I like it. Miss Murder.

I tried to get the legitimate means but it seems I'm not cut out for it.

Anonymous said...

... there are ways to download such. The important thing is you did try to get it legitimately. Hehehe.

Really good album. Load it in your mp3 player if you have one.