Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Process of Un-ORC-ing

There is this book written by Tom Holt entitled "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE EVIL TO WORK HERE, BUT IT HELPS," which caught my attention when I was browsing for interesting reads. I was with a friend that day, who witnessed my amusement with the book's crazy title. She bought the book as a gift to me later that week as a Christmas gift. I never really got to read it since the whole month of January was tornado month at work (explains for the lack of blogs that month - excuses, excuses!).

A week ago, taking time out from the usual everyday BS in the corporate universe, I decided to clean my always cluttered abode and discovered that the book is still in its gift bag, immaculately safe from the dust bunnies slowly breeding in the room. I also realized that I have a lot of book assignments to read ... and so little time to do it (a coffee recipe book, a book about making great writings and speeches, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love In The Time of Cholera, and as a yearly tribute to JRR Tolkien, I made a vow to retrace Frodo's adventure to Mount Doom and into the West by reading the book with the accompanying atlas of Middle Earth every January - MY CERTIFICATION OF GEEKHOOD NEEDS TO BE RENEWED EVERY START OF THE YEAR). --> all that I failed to read. (Tsk, tsk).

Work takes the fun out of everyday living sometimes, and I realized that I've been working too hard for the past months that I forgot my little escapes.

After acquiring my new "precioussss" - 80 GB video IPOD - to keep me from going nuts while I'm with fellow drones, I decided that I will not let the minions of Sauron turn me into a bloody stupid corporate orc (... actually they just promoted me, hehehe).

So I will be un-orc-ing myself by reading those books (at least a chapter a day), listening to internet radio for new songs to get updated, parking my butt on the couch Saturdays to watch House MD and E-Ring, and for the love of God and all things sacred, exercise.

Now, why do these sound like late New Year's resolutions?

No comments: