Monday, January 07, 2008

Potter to the Classics

It's quite a shocker that I, a Harry Potter fan, finished HP and the Deathly Hallows just before New Year.

But let me explain myself. It was not my intention to do so. My dear brother had this "generous" idea to give the book as a birthday present. Unfortunately, my birthday does not occur in July. It's in December. I soo love my sibling's sense of humor.

Someone should give me some credit for exercising my EQ - never even attempted to know what happened in the end when most of the people I had conversations with "offered" to slip in some juicy details.

Most of the world knew, who lived and who died. Among the lucky ones who lived is the scarred boy himself. I find the other deaths in the book a bit unnecessary. I think Rowling wanted to inject some sense of reality. Though, I could not see what this will achieve considering it is a FANTASY book - last I checked.

But then I could be just a tad bit bitter, as I like happy endings which include nobody dying.

Diving to the book itself, I got transported back to Harry's magical world - though a bit glummer and scarier this time. With Voldemort back and pushing his weight around, our heroes went on the run as to complete the "mission" Dumbledore entrusted to them. As they bumble around -it's not easy looking for Horcruxes you know, specially if your instructions are in riddles - they come across the story of the Deathly Hallows. This knowledge further complicates Harry's already too preocuppied mind. To choose which path to pursue - Horcrux-hunting or Fairy Tale chasing? - Harry Potter is one lucky boy indeed, as there are allies out there when he least expected it. He refocuses himself and ends everything were it started - in Hogwarts of course. Voldemort always wanted a homecoming king party - unfortunately like all of those parties, it never goes well. And there Harry Potter and Tom Riddle dueled 'til the death. And the whole world knows who won.

HP and the Deathly Hallows is not just the end of the series. It ties all the loose ends which the other six books left dangling in the air. Sometimes, I wonder if JK Rowling planned all of this all along, since the connections of data which seem innocent and unnecessary in the other books became vital data in the end.

I am re-reading the whole series again (just like what I did in LOTR). Harry Potter's story is one heck of a trip, though it's a bit sad that it had to end. One best word to best describe it: MAGICAL (to the nth degree). Kudos to the very brilliant (and very rich) mind of JK Rowling. Her books are classics that every bookcase should have.

No comments: