Thursday, January 10, 2008

... When You're Still Hung Over

For someone who is not used to the British alternative sound without mistaking it as new wave, picking up a Bloc Party album based on reviews is quite tricky.

I heard a great deal of raves for "A Weekend in the City," so I decided to check it out myself.

The album contains 11 songs:

1. Song for Clay (Disappear Here)
2. Hunting For Witches
3. Waiting For the 7:18
4. The Prayer
5. Uniform
6. ON
7. Where is Home?
8. Kreuzberg
9. I Still Remember
10. Sunday
11. SRXT



Aside from "The Prayer" and "I Still Remember," the album offers a couple more songs to the list of likeables. "Hunting For Witches" is one entertaining song to listen to. There's some mixing at the start and end of the song, and the unmistakeable Bloc Party guitar sound. But the song I love in the album is "Sunday." It's sort of a light song with an odd lyric line going, "....I love you in the morning, when you're still hung over." Hahaha. These English boys are daft.

As a whole, if you want to experience something different yet still remain in the alternative realm, this album will take you out of the rut. Kele Okereke has a fantastic voice, you're not going to get weary of it. However, some songs do need some getting used to. Maybe the mixing and arrangement of those songs are a bit "off" from the usual.

But then that's what I said to myself about The Stone Roses, and here I am totally nuts about their sound.

No comments: